Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt Adventure)

Valhalla Rising - Clive Cussler Okay, so I love Clive Cussler books (especially the Dirk Pitt ones), but seriously. This one was just… not great.

I really wanted to like this book. Really. And I did. Until I ran into this gem…

"My name is Dirk Pitt." He turned to the others. "My shipmates, Misty Graham and Al Giordino."
The old man warmly shook hands with all. Then he turned and grinned at Pitt.
"I’m Clive Cussler."

No. Please, for the love of my sanity, do not put yourself in your books. Although, to be honest, I remember him doing that in other books too. Really though. Please just stop.

Now that we’ve got that out of the way… It was actually a pretty decent book (Cussler was only in it for around one chapter, which was good). I was a little annoyed that the book started with Vikings going missing, but took around 400 pages to explain why the Vikings were relevant at all.

I did really like that they had a lot of stuff about Jules Verne (because I love his books). I’m not going to go too much into this because of massive spoilers, but basically they had a sort of conspiracy theory type thing about Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and it was awesome.

While I love Dirk Pitt (and would kind of love to date him, not gonna lie), I actually found myself liking Loren even more, which was a little weird. She was just really awesome, and I loved her interactions with Dirk (I think she may have appeared in a couple other books, but I could be mistaken).

And then there was the ending.

I just really didn’t like it, okay. It was way too…cliche? I’m not going to spoil it, but Dirk and Loren were talking about how he wished something could have happened…and then it did. Blargh.

I really wanted to give this book four stars, but Cussler being a character, and the ending just made it not as amazing as some of his other books.