Asylum

Asylum - Madeleine Roux This book was recommended to me because it was similar to Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. In fact, it seemed kind of like a rip-off. But, it was still surprisingly good. I didn’t really expect to like it, but once I started it I couldn’t put it down. I will say that about halfway through this book started to creep me out something fierce.

Overall, I would say that if you like books that are pretty creepy (or maybe if you like watching American Horror Story) then you might want to give Asylum a try.

At times I felt like the characters were fairly one-dimensional, and I didn’t really care about them all that much, but the story was interesting enough that I really wanted to find out what was going to happen.

The plot was also a little confusing (and far-fetched, but that’s not entirely surprising). It seemed like there were a lot of coincidences that were supposed to make sense, but a lot of them left me feeling sort of confused. In the end I was really just left wondering about the connection between Dan and the warden.

The book made a big deal out of Dan’s blackouts, and the fact that he and the warden had the same name, but they never resolved that particular detail. I’m kind of assuming they’ll address that in the sequel, which comes out this year. I’ll probably read it, but I’m pretty sure I can already predict what’s going to happen, so I’m not sure how interested I’ll be in the story.